Crisis Housing Solutions (CHS) was founded by Craig & Lisa Vanderlaan as Adopt a Hurricane Family (AHF) on August 30, 2005, in response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina.
History & Background
After diligently working for 3+ years to assist disaster survivors of Katrina and Wilma with temporary & permanent housing solutions, AHF expanded its mission to assist those affected by any disaster – natural, manmade or economic.
"We build healthy communities where people live, work, and prosper."
Our Core Values
- Compassion Inclusiveness
To learn more about Crisis Housing Solutions, please join the conversation on Facebook
Everyone has access to a safe, secure home in a vibrant, healthy community.
- began assisting Katrina families in South Florida.
- began working closely with the South Florida HUD office and their field director.
- led a multi-agency effort to get 93 Wilma families out of FEMA trailers in C.B. Smith & Easterlin Parks and into permanent housing.
- began working with FEMA’s Florida Long-Term Recovery Office in Orlando.
- received 501(c)(3) not-for-profit status from the IRS.
- began a 4-month collaborative effort for FEMA finding permanent housing for 170 families displaced by Hurricane Wilma; 54 of these families obtained new mobile homes.
- provided turnkey management of the Davie Mobile Home Repair/Replacement Program using $1,275,000 in Community Development Block Grant Disaster Recovery Inititiative funds for Hurricane Wilma relief. 73 families received new mobile homes over a 14-month period.
- applied for and received certification as a HUD Housing Counseling Agency.
- providing case management services as part of the Homeless Prevention & Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP) for Broward County and City of Ft. Lauderdale. [/ezcol_1half] [ezcol_1half_end]
- as a HUD Housing Counseling Agency, began offering Mortgage Delinquency/Default Counseling as part of broader Foreclosure Prevention Services.
- began First-Time Homebuyer Program for Town of Davie.
- received certification for the Treasury Department’s Florida Hardest Hit Fund (HHF) Program; providing mortgage assistance to qualified unemployed & under-employed homeowners having difficulty making mortgage payments.
- launched our Community Stabilization Initiative whereby we acquire & rehab foreclosed properties; thus helping to revitalize neighborhoods and
providing a new source of affordable housing."
- approved partner for the HUD Home Discount Sales Program
- approved as a service provider for the Treasury Department’s new Principal Reduction Program; intended to assist homeowners underwater on their mortgages.
- approved for acquisition of foreclosed properties from the National Community Stabilization Trust. [/ezcol_1half_end]