Thinking Inside the Box:
A New Concept in Affordable Housing
Why Shipping Containers?
- An estimated one-third of Florida residents are considered housing cost-burdened, spending over 50% of their income on housing.
- All Primary Market Areas surveyed have literally thousands of LMI renters that would benefit from reduced costs.
- There is a significant “under-supply” of affordable rental housing in all Primary Market Areas.
[/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_1third class="section"]
How Can Shipping Containers Help?
Shipping containers are an alternative to conventional concrete block construction.
Based on the findings of our feasibility study, conducted by Meridian Appraisal Group in 2015-16 with funding provided by JP Morgan Chase Bank, we found a savings of up to 15% over conventional concrete block construction before leveraging our nonprofit status.
[/ezcol_1third] [ezcol_1third_end class="section"]
What Are The Cost Benefits?
By leveraging Crisis Housing Solutions non-profit status, potential areas of cost reductions include the following, which offer additional savings passed along in terms of lower rent
- Donated or discounted land
- Discounted building materials
- Donated or discounted containers
- Property tax savings
- Waiver of permit and impact fees