Thinking Inside the Box:
A New Concept in Affordable Housing
Why Shipping Containers?
- An estimated one-third of Florida residents are considered housing cost-burdened, spending over 50% of their income on housing.
- All Primary Market Areas surveyed have literally thousands of LMI renters that would benefit from reduced costs.
- There is a significant “under-supply” of affordable rental housing in all Primary Market Areas.
How Can Shipping Containers Help?
Shipping containers are an alternative to conventional concrete block construction.
Based on the findings of our feasibility study, conducted by Meridian Appraisal Group in 2015-16 with funding provided by JP Morgan Chase Bank, we found a savings of up to 15% over conventional concrete block construction before leveraging our nonprofit status.
What Are The Cost Benefits?
By leveraging Crisis Housing Solutions non-profit status, potential areas of cost reductions include the following, which offer additional savings passed along in terms of lower rent
- Donated or discounted land
- Discounted building materials
- Donated or discounted containers
- Property tax savings
- Waiver of permit and impact fees